Four seats on the Young Lawyers Division Board of Governors were decided in March balloting, while one race resulted in a runoff.
Those elected include:
• Seventh Circuit, Seat 1 — Brittany Fraser defeated Matthew Shapiro.
• Ninth Circuit, Seat 2 — Denise Kim Beamer defeated Brock Hankins.
• 11th Circuit, Seat 3 — Dwayne Robinson defeated Michael Levine.
• 17th Circuit, Seat 4 — Todd Baker defeated Harold Fernandez Pryor, Jr.
There will be a runoff for 15th Circuit, Seat 2, pitting Denise Andrea Mutamba, who received 40.31 percent of the vote, against Alexandra Menegakis, who received 22.47 percent of the vote. Samantha Kelly and Jason Fagnano were eliminated.
Ballots for the runoff will be mailed around April 1 and must be returned by 11:59 p.m., April 24. Bar members will have the option of returning the paper ballot or voting online, by following the instructions on the ballot.
Here are the platform statements for the runoff candidates:
As a current Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division governor representing the 15th Judicial Circuit, I have had the privilege and honor of representing my young lawyer constituents from Palm Beach County this past year. I am a proud “double gator,” having graduated from the University of Florida in 2008 and then the University of Florida Levin College of Law in 2013. Bar service has been a passion of mine for many years. In law school I served as a governor on The Florida Bar YLD Law Student Division Board of Governors for three years and also had the privilege of serving as president of The Florida Bar YLD Law Student Division for the 2012-2013 term. As president, I governed a board comprised of over 60 governors representing each law school in the state of Florida. During my term, I had the opportunity to create networking, mentoring, community service, and continuing education opportunities for thousands of law students and Florida residents statewide.
Upon graduation from UF Law in May 2013, I was blessed with the opportunity to return to my home town in Palm Beach County and serve as a public defender at the 15th Judicial Circuit Office of the Public Defender. Every day as a public defender, I have the privilege of representing the indigent, criminally accused of Palm Beach County. Working the past three years as a public defender in Palm Beach County, I have had the opportunity to have extensive courtroom and trial experience. But the most valuable of my experience has derived from the contact I have made with the indigent community of Palm Beach County. I have come in contact with thousands of Palm Beach County residents who suffer from poverty, mental health issues, physical and sexual abuse, and substance abuse issues. My goal in being your elected representative for the YLD is to continue to serve as the only public defender on the board and share a different outlook with the board regarding issues of poverty and other social issues that plague our clients in the state of Florida. The YLD receives substantial funds each year to use for a good cause. I hope to continue to spread those funds to touch those Palm Beach County and Florida residents who desperately need assistance.
I humbly ask for your vote this election so I may have the honor to continue to serve as your representative for the 15th Judicial Circuit.
Denise Andrea Mutamba
My commitment to improving our legal community has led me to run for the Young Lawyers Division Board of Governors for the 15th Judicial Circuit and I respectfully ask for your vote!
Although I am invested in our legal community, I believe that we continue to be concerned with the number of new lawyers graduating into a legal community that has few jobs to offer and underdeveloped opportunities for mentorship. In addition, the need for a pipeline of diverse individuals prepared to take leadership roles remains.
My plan for the next two years on the board is to address these concerns. I believe that my commitment to the Palm Beach County Bar Association, commitment to voluntary bar associations, and my legal experience show my dedication to our legal community. I am ready to create and execute resolutions to address our concerns!
Please visit www.facebook.com/electdenisemutamba for more information.
Commitment to legal profession:
• Young Lawyers Section, PBCBA;
• Adopt a School Committee, co-chair;
• Holiday Party for Foster Children, co-chair;
• F. Malcolm Cunningham, Sr., Bar Association;
• Young Lawyers Section, chair;
• Craig S. Barnard American Inns of Court;
• Lincoln Inn, pupilage co-leader;
• Committee for Diversity and Inclusion, PBCBA;
Commitment to community:
• Susan G. Komen, Race for the Cure Team Leader;
• Sigma Lamp of Learning Foundation, Inc., president;
• Gamma Gamma Sigma Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., secretary;
• Legal Aid Society of Palm Beach County, Inc.;
• Fair Housing Act;
• Fair Labor Standards Act;
• Florida Minimum Wage Act;
• Fair Debt Collection Practices Act;
• Florida Residential Landlord Tenant Act
• The Florida Bar, 2014;
• United States District Court, South District of Florida;
• University of Miami School of Law;
• Pro Bono Honors;
• University of Akron;
• Bachelor of Science in Business Administration;
• Bachelor of Science in Business Management.
All the new officers will be sworn in at the Bar’s June Convention in Boca Raton.